I’m not sure that this really works, but it’s worth a try…especially if you already have the winter blues
10 Food Tips To Keep You Happy During Winter
• 1. Citrus – eat and drink as much citrus as possible, here’s a different way to eat citrus- make a Sicilian Salad of sliced grapefruit, orange, red onion and flat leaf parsley, good for lunch or with any meal.
• 2. Tea – start sipping, tea is good for you, one of the ways to enjoy tea is to have several different varieties, cut off the caffeinated types at about 3 o’clock
• 3. Grains – grains are good especially in the winter, try a few new grains. Eat wheat berries, farro, buckwheat groats for breakfast or in salads at lunch and dinner time. They are complex carbohydrates, they keep you going and help you beat the winter blues!
• 4. Chocolate -Treat yourself to a really good piece of chocolate everyday, try new kinds.
• 5. Have a Special Meal – Once a week, maybe Sunday morning, Friday night, Sunday night or whenever your schedule works, invite friends or not, plan and cook a special meal and you’ll look forward to it all week. Don’t skip it, make it your once a week good thing ritual.
• 6. Leafy Greens – Eat, drink and cook a lot of them.
• 7. Soup – is easy to make in large amounts, eat it every day.
• 8. Go on a Hunt – Try different restaurants looking for the best french fries, greatest squash soup or most delicious veggie burger…
• 9. Eat Sweet Potatoes – Roast them, bake them, mash them, make them into fries, use them to make pancakes . . . sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, flake salt, dried cranberries and candied walnuts.
• 10. Eat or drink your favorite comfort food once a week – hot chocolate with marshmallows, pb&j sandwich, meatloaf and mashed potatoes or whatever makes you think about being a kid
check out www.thekitchn.com for more good tips